6.04.2011

Garde Manger Re-Visited: The Return to the Amuse Bouche

In September of 2010, I returned to the kitchen and became, officially again, a cook by profession. On the outside, it was a quiet homecoming, but inside, it was a great, explosive feeling to again be "at home" with the job that I do everyday.

Since then, it has been a fast-paced whirlwind as I move from station to station, one moment preparing banquets, the next making creme anglais, the next cooking fish for the lunch crowd, and the next whipping up holandaise (praying it doesn't break) for breakfast at 6am. It's fast, it's furious, it's a think-on-your-feet, put-your-game-face-on situation...and I like it.

The sweetest "homecoming" is my latest assignment which is to man the garde manger station. In most kitchens, the garde manger (or pantry) station is entry level to advancing through the different stations of the kitchen. The garde manger station was indeed my first entry to line cooking many many years ago. And so to be back there again really does feel like I've come full circle.


THE RETURN OF THE AMUSE BOUCHE

Amuse Bouche, "amusement of the mouth", is a one bite course aimed to whet the appetite. It should be a flavorful bite so that it wakes up the senses and gets them ready for the meal. As the GM cook, it is my task to create an amuse bouche every dinner service. For a cook this is a fabulous and rare opportunity for a creative outlet and I definitely take advantage of that. I don't know how long my garde manger stint will be this time around, but I decided that I should take a photo of every amuse bouche I get to create this time. Here they are so far:


"Liver & Onion" (chicken liver pate, herb crouton, fried onion, herb oil)




Prawn Salad (marinated tiger prawns, horseradish mayo, red-veined sorrel)


Foie and pork terrine, picked ramps, mosto cotto sauce


Cucumber Sandwich (Gougere, cucumber, goat cheese and pecan disks)


Ahi Tartare (Ahi, mango, daikon, marinated cucumber, oca leaves)

No comments:

Sans Rival

  A very French name for a very Filipino dessert. As a kid sansrival was such a treat. So decadent, so buttery, salty, chewy, and crisp. Whi...